Re: Installing GCC on HP-UX 11.00

Martin v Loewis <martin@loewis.home.cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> Please see

> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2000-02/msg00002.html
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/1999-12n/msg00253.html
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2000-02/msg00328.html

Thanks for the pointers; that was useful.  I'm using the assembler from
binutils on HP-UX 11.00, so the second reference above doesn't appear to
apply.  I'm not sure what problems the person in the third reference above
was having, but I haven't had any of them.

I wouldn't recommend using gcc 2.95.2 on HP-UX 11.00 necessarily, given
that the gcc developers are not confident in its stability, but just to
report my own experiences 2.95.1 compiled and bootstrapped just fine out
of the tarball and I'm currently using it as my primary compiler and have
compiled numerous packages on HP-UX 11.00, some such as Perl with
extensive testsuites, without a single problem.

I have no doubt that I'm just extremely lucky.  I'm just pointing out that
it's possible to be lucky.  :)