Re: GCC for Mac OS X

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 09:29:50PM +0100, Toon Moene wrote:
> Stan Shebs wrote:
>
> [ An apple a day keeps the doctor away :-) ]
>
> > 3. PowerPC code quality.  Apple has more than a few bit-twiddling
> > graphics engineers who pore over inner loops and such.  They need
> > the compiler to generate faster code.  Exception handling and
> > AltiVec support are two specific areas; for instance, Apple is
> > using a big hairy patch from Motorola for AltiVec code gen, but
> > from what I've seen of the patch so far, it seems problematic
> > for mainstream GCC.
>
> Well, how about hacking on that patch until it looks reasonable ?  Aside
> from your graphics engineers, us physicists are very much interested in
> a g77 generating vector arithmetic on a home computer (or even a laptop
> - if Apple ever manages to put a G4 in a PowerBook ;-)

As I said to Stan in private mail, we cannot accept the patch unless we've been
given the copyright assignment on it.  Maybe Moto has finally gotten around to
it, when I last checked a few months ago, they hadn't.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company.
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304