Re: Is --enable-checking supposed to be used?

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 12:39:23PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> Is --enable-checking a useful option? I was under the
> belief that it was useful to check the compiler, but it
> doesn't appear to be used, as the compiler hasn't bootstrapped
> with it in over a week, and that doesn't seem to be a
> problem for anyone. Is --enable-checking a deprecated option?

The option is not deprecated.  If the compiler doesn't bootstrap with
--enable-checking, that's a bug, which needs to get fixed.  But at the
moment, it seems everyone is concerned with other problems.

I suggest you try to fix the bug yourself.  Tracking down internal
errors, exposed by -e-c or otherwise, is an excellent way to learn
your way around the compiler.  You'll definitely get more attention
if you show up with a patch.

zw