Re: Email rejected by gcc list

Stephen Moshier <s_moshier@altavista.com> writes:

> > Nick Burrett <nick at dsvr dot net>
> > If ORBS considers Road Runner's mail relays to be open then, in all
> > likeihood, they most certainly are.
>
> I don't think that is true.  The situation is that Road Runner is
> blocking the probe packets from ORBS, so ORBS does not actually have
> any idea whether there is an open mail relay.  ORBS responded to me
> that they blackball Road Runner because RR blocks their probes, not
> because they are finding any real problem.

I don't see why Road Runner should consider this a problem. The scanning
software merely tries to send an e-mail to itself using 13 (at the last
check) different e-mail headers. This is hardly a network attack on
the same scale as port scanning or a Denial of Service. Admittedly it
does become a DoS when ORBS adds the IP to its database.

I think you might have to sweet-talk them, and try and convince them that
ORBS and MAPS are A Good Thing.

> Does Cygnus know that ORBS is doing them any good?  Suppose you
> drop ORBS for a while.  Will there be any increase in SPAM
> getting through?

Yes, in all likelihood there will be. On some of our mail relays ORBS or
MAPS RBL seems to stop seven or eight spam messages per day (we have
several hundred mail servers - I have only checked the logs of two).

Regards,

Nick.