Re: -malign-double missing on ppc from g77?

Jack> I was building the fortran molecular modeling program
Jack> CNS this weekend which has a 'make linux-ppc' build option.
Jack> In that makefile they define -malign-double for a flag to
Jack> pass to g77. This suggests that egcs/gcc's g77 at some point
Jack> supported the -malign-double flag. Unfortunately the g77
Jack> from 2.95.3 built by Franz Sirl seems to not support
Jack> the -malign-double flag. I am wondering why that is the
Jack> case and if the absence of -malign-double is likely to
Jack> cause major problems in the code when executed. Thanks
Jack> in advance for any insights on this issue.

	-malign-double is an x86-specific flag to increase the alignment
and improve code performance.  That architecture-specific flag is
unnecessary for PowerPC code.

David
David Edelsohn                                      T.J. Watson Research Center
dje@watson.ibm.com                                  P.O. Box 218
+1 914 945 4364 (TL 862)                            Yorktown Heights, NY 10598