Re: Arraysizes in g77 (gcc-2.95.2)

Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> > Now my question: Do you know if I can simply bump some number
> > in some file of GCC to increase this limit a bit?

> I don't know much about fortran, but you may want to check the release
> branch. One problem in gcc is that the array size is represented in
> the number of bits, so that value probably overflows if the array gets
> larger than 512 MB. I found the same problem in g++, and the g++
> mainline has fixed it. I'm not sure whether the fix was specific to
> C++, or whether that was a back-end thing, though.

AFAIK the bitsize thingy is a backend limitation.  I know that shortly afte
the release of g77 (February '95) I run into all sorts of sub-optimisations
due to the fact that the *8 (bits/byte) / 32 (bits/real) weren't folded
completely (next to the problem of incomplete induction variable elimination
in loops.

So I think that this is a "middle-end" problem - I would be interested if
this were solved by the current CVS trunk of GCC.

Cheers,
Toon.