Problem with GCC

I don't know if this is a deficiency on my part, or a problem with the
software.  I installed the latest GCC (2.95) with the Objective C Compiler.
Originally I had EGCS 2.71 (I believe - it's whatever came with the RedHat
6.1 release).  After installing GCC, I removed the egcs rpm.  Now when I
./configure something, the compiler will not recognize my system type.  I
can compile fine, but I have to manually type in the system type - like
"./configure i586-linux" Am I a retard, or is it something with the
compiler?

Justin