Re: backslash-newline, trigraphs, and the C standard

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 08:59:23PM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:

>     Jeffrey>   In message <20000111225102.A20712@wolery.cumb.org>you
>     Jeffrey> write:
>     >> So - I'd like to change it so that, in nonconforming mode,
>     >> \-newline is replaced by (virtual) white space except inside
>     >> strings.
>
>     Jeffrey> I can live with it so long as we can still get conforming
>     Jeffrey> code via some switch.
>
> FWIW, I'm not in favor of this idea.  This is a change that can result
> in silent changes in program behavior.  Extensions are one thing;
> silent changes are another.
>
> There are certainly compilers that compile faster, generate better
> code than GCC, and are ANSI/ISO conforming so there must be other
> places to look to speed up the compiler.

Performance is not the main reason why I want to make this change; it's
to be able to silence trigraph warnings in comments.  There are definitely
better places to look for performance improvements.

I can attempt to arrange for code whose meaning would change to get loud
warnings, if the silence of the change is what's bugging you.

zw