Re: [Fwd: configure issues: can not guess host type]

Velma Dinkley wrote:
> [[...]] I determined that the problem was that
> config.guess tried to compile a C program using cc as part of
> determining the host type. The problem was that cc didn't
> exist on my system any longer.

That is exactly your problem.
There is a way around it in config.guess
and I have proposed the patch several times.
"ld" is also used, but the switch on emulation type
handles most every Linux flavor *except* ELF-en
i*86 architecture.  :-(

> Apparently, when egcs was uninstalled, that took cc
> with it. Making a symbolic link from cc to gcc makes the
> configure scripts work correctly.

I did similar things (deleted my compiler and fixed it
by appropriate links).

> This is probably not a bug,

Just a major failing in `config.guess'
A distinction without a difference?