Web pages (was: GCC museum?)

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Rich Churcher wrote:
> A link to cvs.html under the Submitting Patches heading in
> contribute.html wouldn't hurt.

Hmm, there is already a link to "CVS repository" there, do you think
we should make the link more prominent?

(Some people still use snapshots and submit patches based one these.)

>>  . Should we unify some of these pages? For example, cvs.html and
>>    cvswrite.html?
> I think it would be a good idea to merge cvswrite.html and
> contribute.html, which cover similar territory.

Sounds like a good idea to me!

But you did mean to write cvswrite.html and checkin.html, didn't you?

> cvs.html is sort of different, in that you could have read access
> purely as a matter of interest, without needing to know about write
> access and procedures.

Good point!

> That's me :o)  I find it easy enough to follow.  One thing I did find
> a wee bit excessive was the description of a cvs check-in under
> "Example check-in session" in checkin.html.  While this was very
> useful, I suggest providing a separate page and linking to it.  But
> then, my preference for web pages is bite-sized pieces [...]

Perhaps we can keep it at the very end of the unified
cvswrite+contribute.html page and add a small index at the beginning
of the page, something like the following?

 <A HREF="heading1">Heading 1</A> | <A HREF="heading2">Heading 2</A>...

>> Is it easy enough for an expert to find relevant information quickly?
> Again, how would I know?  Ok, I'm being obtuse.  Let me put it another
> way - I suspect that experts will already know the logistics, and just
> need a few details.  If you like, I can put those at the top and
> further explanations further down on each page.  Is that the kind of
> structure that would make sense to a community like GCC?  Or a link at
> the top of the page marked "Essential details", or some such.

First the general stuff and then the those details would be my preference.

Essentially the "Setting up your local CVS tree" section of cvswrite.html
already contains the important information for experts.

> A general comment on presentation: I think it would make sense for
> these pages to move towards white backgrounds, black text.  Some are,
> some aren't, and it looks wierd.

Yes, yes, and yes. Indeed that's what I am currently working on. :-)

Let's make a deal: I take care of this issue, and you attack our cvs
web pages. ;-)

> Finally - should I be discussing this on gcc-patches?  Sorry, it's
> been awhile...

Before there's a patch, this list is apropriate, AFAIS. But I'm looking
forward to receiving a patch via gcc-patches! :-)

Gerald