Re: Linux vs. libio

Kevin Atkinson <kevinatk@home.com> writes:

> Will that extra level of indirection *really* make a diffrence in speed I
> mean IO is something which is fairly slow in the first place.

My guess is it can make a big difference.  The memory cost of copying
bytes around seems to be a significant factor in I/O.  At least the
people who work on kernels seem to think so, as they spend a lot of
effort on sharing buffers, copy-on-write, minimizing copying, DMA,
etc.

Whether the extra indirection for putc/getc type operations make
a real difference depends on how common they are compared to
other operations.
--
	--Per Bothner