Re: Linux vs. libio

 > You will need to work with the glibc folks to find a solution that makes
 > sense to them as we do not want to start changing the API of the libio
 > contained in GCC without making corresponding changes to the libio
 > contained in glibc.

The problem is that part of the libio API is the C++ vtables, so any ABI
change that modifies the layout of the vtable (such as -fvtable-thunks) or
how the vtable is found breaks libio.  This has caused us a lot of trouble
over the years; perhaps the answer is to change that design, but this *is*
supposed to be the all-singing, all-dancing, ultimate C++ ABI.

Jason