Re: Online docs page should provide a downloadable PS version (?)

Joe Buck wrote:
> > I got one private reply suggesting PDF instead.  Although I don't know
> > if there are any free (in the FSF definition) PDF viewers or
> > generators from texi.
>
> Ghostscript can view PDF, so can xpdf (though the latter is a more
> incomplete implementation).  I know of no free generators.

Ghostscript comes with a pdf generator, ps2pdf.  It's not perfect, but
when it does work it's fine.  (And the pdfs are much smaller than the ps
files).

Ghostscript and xpdf can view pdfs.  xpdf is pretty ugly but tends to
work and is fast.  Ghostscript does nice anti-aliasing (with gv) and
looks good anti-aliasing or not, but has a habit of crashing on quite a
few pages and won't view "encrypted" pdfs as standard.  (You need to
fetch a separate file to enable "encryption", to view pdfs which of
course don't require a password so quite why they're designated as
encrypted is beyond me).

particularly good.

-- Jamie