Re: cpp w/DOS line feeds

In a message dated 12/9/99 1:38:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
stuarts@icpdd.neca.nec.com.au writes:

> contemplating the problem in gcc (or cpp in particular) of
>  multi-line macros that are not interpreted properly if the EOL is made up
of
>  CRs as well as LFs.
>hope that 2.95.x contains the fix

Don't hope too much.  As mentioned in the earlier discussion, cpp is intended
to be able to use any character preceded by backslash to stand for that
character taken literally, in the old unix tradition.

I just had an episode where source code containing \r compiled without
complaints but didn't run identically when compiled under W2K and under
linux.  Removing all the \r characters didn't change the results on Windows
but corrected the variance in the linux version.  Maybe the 2.96 versions of
the compiler are tolerant of \r when running on Windows but not otherwise.

The commercial compilers I have used work with source code without \r, but
their run time may require text data files to contain \r.

Tim
tprince@computer.org