Re: Why does config.guess come up with such wacky stuff?

 "Mike Hopkirk(hops)" <hops@sco.com> writes:

> > > I agree 100% with Robert that config.guess is supposed to cater to the random
> > > person that picks up GCC (or other tools) off the net and wants to get it
> > > built with a minimum of hassle.
>
> But not necessarily the most optimal build

I don't think you're ever going to find "optimal build" and "minimum of
hassle" at the same time.  If J. Random Coder wants optimal, heesh has
to be willing to put some work into it, and that may be nothing more
than having to add a target specification to the 'configure' command.

... guess "beggers can't be choosers" would be a less polite way of
saying the same thing.  :-)

(If you reply to the list, please don't cc another copy to me.  Thanks!)
Phil