Re: GCC for Macintosh

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Clifford M. Bryant, Jr. wrote:

> Hello GNU people,
>
> I was wondering if there is a GNU C compiler for the Macintosh?  If not, do
> you know where I can get an ANSI C compiler for the Mac?

  This is a darn good question.  My understanding is that the Mac port of
most of the binutils is old and buggy (it's been a few months since I've
checked, though).  On the other hand, I've also been told that gcc is the
compiler for their OS X, and that their version supports building for the
older Mactintosh OS'es as well.  However, when I looked at Darwin, it
appeared to use a BSD assembler, and claimed you needed to agree to the
APSL to get a look at the source.  Whether that's ok with you, I don't
know.
   But I'm certainly interested in finding out if there's any information
on this front.  I'd really like Mac users to be able to use software I
write, if possible.

Lynn