Re: Autoincrement examples

Jeffrey A Law writes:

 > This looks very similar to something Cygnus did for a customer but hasn't
 > had the time to contribute.
 >
 > Our implementation sat inside regmove and I believe performed similar
 > transformations.

 > What I would like to do is have a "cook off" between the two implementations.
 > ie, I want us to evaluate the two hunks of code both from a standpoint of which
 > is more effective at optimizing sequences that can use autoinc to remove
 > instructions and from a cleanliness/long term maintainability standpoint.

What were the chief advantages of doing this during regmove?  I'm not
familiar with this pass but I feel the transformations are too late.
For simple cases it should make no difference, but for more complex
cases, autoincrement optimisation needs to run before instruction
combination.

 > Joern -- can you do the same with Michael's implementation?

I'll resubmit my patches tomorrow.  There have been a few mods since
my previous submission to properly fix {post,pre}_modify addressing
modes and to make the code more robust.

For the cook off, I've got a testsuite of 25 vector/matrix
manipulation routines I have written and 40 assorted testcases
that I can contribute.

Michael.