Installation issues

Dear sirs,
I have just downloaded a 9.5 MB tar file that I belive to be the latest
gcc. I am doing this because I would like to use the c++ compiler. After
extracting the files in the archive I seem to have reached a dead end. I
have read your entire web site and can find no further instructions on
what to do next.

I know, all I have to do is configure and build it.....

step 1 configure :
the only instruction i have found is type in 3 command lines

% mkdir objdir
% cd objdir
% srcdir/configure [target] [options]

A) What direcotry is %
B) Where is srcdir
C) Where is configure (is this an executable somewhere on my HDD)
D) Anywhere I type configure i get: bash:configure:command not found

Step 2 build:
the only instruction i have found is type in 1 command line

make bootstrap

A) The only reply I can get from this command is :
        make:  *** No rule to make target 'bootstrap'. Stop.

Whats wrong here? Im I that stupid, or are you forgetting a step or two
in the installiton manual.
If you would like help on the layout and design of the "Instalation
Manual" web page I would like to donate my time,
however I will first need to know how to do it myself...

Donavan Moore

P.S.
Processor: AMD K6-2 450
OS:Linux-Mandrake 6.5