Re: gcc-2.95.2 on several linux systems

On Nov 11, 1999, Ignacio Martin <imartin@ima.udg.es> wrote:

> We have several linux systems that share the same /usr/local directory.
> I am going to intall gcc-2.95.2 on /usr/local/bin and i would like to
> know if this is possible.

Assuming they're all running GNU/Linux on the same architecture (i.e.,
you don't have /sparc and /alpha machines in addition to /i?86s), it
should work, as long as you build gcc with the oldest release of
glibc, since either newer releases of glibc are backward compatible
with (not much) older releases or distributions include
backward-compatibility modules.  Sometimes, they're optional, though.
Kernel versions don't matter, gcc doesn't care about the kernel, it
uses glibc to interface with it.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br,guarana.{org,com}} aoliva@{acm,computer}.org