why large program size

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows why a small object program (i.e. less
than 100K) when linked would generate a huge executable (900K or more).  I
have seen this phenomenon on a Sun Sparc box and also a similar result in
Windows using the Cygnus g++ compiler.

Does anyone have any information or can point me to some information
that will help me figure this out?

In addition, can someone tell me what really is in the executable code?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Howard