Re: ABI/compatibility details? (egcs -> gcc 2.95 -> future?)

> On 21 Sep 1999, Wolfram Gloger wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty sure that the upgrade from glibc-2.0 to 2.1 caused these
> > problems.  I, too, had to recompile my X11 libraries (not any C
> > applications though) when I made that upgrade.  It's mentioned in
> > glibc's release notes, I believe.
>
> Been there, done that. Everything worked 100% prior to installing
> gcc-2.95.1.

I should have been more clear: The fact that the X11 libs had been
compiled against glibc-2.0 caused the compatibility problem.  Surely
this was the case for you too ?  These problems were subtle, it was
quite hard to notice them at all (I noticed only several months after
installing glibc-2.1).

> > I see no evidence that there are any backwards compatibility problems
> > with `pure' C code due to gcc upgrades.
>
> And the evidence is right here, rebuilding cured my problems.

Yes, rebuilding the X11 libraries against glibc-2.1 cured the
problems.  This sure looks like a change in glibc to me (as mentioned
in its release notes).  You could probably verify this by once again
recompiling X11 using an older compiler (this I would predict to
continue working) _or_ against glibc-2.0 (this I would predict to
fail).

Regards,
Wolfram.