Re: on vacation till 1999-04-10

On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 02:38:39PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva <oliva@lsd.ic.unicamp.br> wrote:
> On Sep 18, 1999, craig@jcb-sc.com wrote:
>
> >> I'll be on vacation (in Switzerland if anybody cares) till at least
> >> 1999-04-10. If you haven't received an answer to your mail yet your
> >> chances that you will receive one before are almost NIL.
>
> > I must admit, I've never taken a vacation that lasted *negative* 5 months!!
> > I'm in awe!
>
> He must be taking advantage of some Y2K bug!

You braindead americans(+). There is more than one date-format in the
world. The one I used (yyyy-mm-dd) is used by the majority of people (it's
common in asia for example) and is, btw, an international standard (iso
8601).

It is also the most unambiguous numerical format available (how about
10.4.99 which I would normally use?)

Thinking about it, it also allows only _one_ sensible interpretation in this
case.

However, there is no hope to fight deliberate misunderstandings.

sigh :*)

ps: if you think time and especially standards in that area are
unimportant you might want to review the reports about the terrorists who
blew themselves up with their own bomb because they confused timezones
http://www.seattletimes.com/news/nation-world/html98/alttime_19990911.html

(+) I really won't be able to read your responses if this is partly wrong.