Re: type based aliasing again

Changing the default to -fno-strict-aliasing would certainly solve the
immediate problem.  If people are happy with that, as a more or less
permanent decision, I think it avoids most of the need to do anything
else.  (An added warning might be desirable, though, even with
-fno-strict-aliasing.)

The importance of considering option #3 goes beyond this particular
issue.  Other issues will arise where optimization runs over old code
that people use.  Option #3 is not guaranteed to be workable for
all these other issues, but it will be workable for some of them.

So even if we deal with this issue in a different way, and that makes
option #3 unnecessary here, we should keep it in mind for the future.