Re: libiberty legal status ?

> Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:28:13 +0200
> From: Marc Espie <Marc.Espie@liafa.jussieu.fr>

> While browsing thru libiberty code, I noticed a rather disturbing problem.
> Some of the files there have been bodily lifted from other GNU tools,
> verbatim.

> This means that they retain a full GPL copyright notice, whereas
> libiberty license is supposed to be LGPL.

> So, suddenly, the legal status of libiberty is completely unclear.

> I presume the logical course would be to change the copyright notice
> of these files, which only the FSF can do, if I read things right...

libiberty should not be used to satisfy requirements from libgcc.a or
any of libgcc style runtimes.  We should either seek to get the FSF to
relax them a bit, or start up a libiberty for the runtime (new name)
that has the libgcc clause on it and only that.

The licensing needs to be stable (for a decade at a time), and well
thought out and exceptionally clear.  Anything less just causes
hysteria and confusion and allows people to FUD gcc.  gcc needs to be
FUD resistant.