Re: egcs/Solaris status

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Dimitri PAPADOPOULOS-ORFANOS <papadopo@shfj.cea.fr> writes:
>
> > I believe this is a Solaris bug that triggers a crash more or less often
> > depending on the use of GNU as/ld vs. Sun as/ld or on the use of
> > -fno-strict-aliasing. These options have a small impact on the binary
> > files output produced by the GCC.  Depending on which option was chosen,
> > the program crashes more or less frequently:
>
> This may be an obvious suggestion, since it's listed in install/specific,
> but I haven't seen it mentioned so far in this thread.  You *have* made
> sure to not install patch 107058-01 or to patchrm it if you had it
> installed, correct?
>
> With that patch installed, make bootstrap fails for me on Solaris 7 with
> either an older version of gcc or with Solaris cc as the compiler; I get a
> segfault in the middle of the build or comparison failures between stage2
> and stage3.  With that patch removed, gcc 2.95.1 bootstraps cleanly and
> appears to work fine.

Hi,

I obviously don't suffer from this bug, because I am bulding Qt with GCC.
So GCC is already built. The whole thread is in fact too long - I am sorry
for that. It began with problems bulding GCC, then it continued with
problems building other programs with GCC. I guess the transition has not
been very clear, but for me both issues are related, as building GCC
includes testing GCC on some software we use here.

In fact, I have built GCC with GNU as/ld (bootstraping with EGCS using
itself GNU as/ld and putting GNU as/ld in my PATH and /usr/ccs/bin out
of my PATH). I do have 107058-01 installed but this should have no
incidence using such a configuration.

Thanks,
--
Dimitri