debugger formats for C++ code.

I use the SDS SingleStep debugger on a Win32 platform at work.  It
targets an MPC860 system via the OnCE/BDM port.  It seems that
SingleStep uses dwarf for debugging and I can debug programs created
with GCC if I use the -gdwarf option.  However, there is a statement in
the SingleStep documentation that says the GNU-CC does not generate
dwarf debugging output for C++ code.  Is this correct ?  If so, is there
any reason why it is not supported.

We use a C++ compiler (DiabData) all the time as a better C compiler and
limiting function scope by using classes.  I am trying to convince the
company to use GCC and would like to still use SingleStep debugger until
Insight is more stable.  Is there anyway to get GCC to produce debugging
output suitable for the SingleStep compiler.

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.