Re: Illegal instruction (core dumped) on i586

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 03:03:14PM -0000, craig@jcb-sc.com wrote:
> I agree with all of the sentiment about the GCC team not having
> producing RPM's as one of its functions.
>
> I'd like to add that my impression is that not just GCC, but GNU
> generally, could benefit the community by looking over the various
> package-management systems (RPMs, and doesn't Debian have one?) and
> figuring out, at least, how best to architect, design, and implement
> the relevant bits of GNU products so GNU maintainers, as well as
> packagers, have an easier life producing robust, portable products.

And as one of the people who makes the Debian packages (yes, we have
one), I can say that GCC has gone a long way down that road already.
While the packaging is somewhat complex, it's not at all as bad as I
would have expected from a project of this size.

Dan