Re: GCC 2.95 does not look in /usr/local/include

    H> Noone should use --prefix=/usr without
    H> --with-local-prefix=/usr/local when configuring gcc.

If that's true, then that's what we need a patch to ensure.  I don't
know if that's true.  That's not what your patch does.

The default prefix should stay /usr/local, even on Linux.  That makes
GCC consistent across platforms, and allows people to build compilers
without accidentally wiping out the default versions that shipped with
their systems.

In some sense, it is precisely *because* GCC is the vendor compiler on
Linux that we should *not* default prefix to /usr.  That would be
equivalent to building GCC on a Solaris system and thereby wiping out
the Sun C compiler.

I bet we already had this debate before; let's not go there again.

My two cents,