Re: anonymous CVS stuff

  In message <19990716205238.A7766@baerlap.north.de>you write:

  > Would it be possible to publish something about the load of the
  > machine over the day ?  So it would be easier to connect at a time when
  > the load is supposed to be lower than usual.
Probably not going to be worth the effort given some of the upcoming
changes.  I guess a brief overview of the planned changes is due :-)

The stopgaps:

  1. Anoncvs server refuses connections when load gets above 15. (Done)

  2. Update cvs server to a version which is is more efficient. (Done)

  3. Add another 128M of memory to the server (Purchased, jsm will install)

Longer term stuff:

  4. Move mail, ftp, www and read/write service to a new machine,
     existing machine becomes a dedicated anonymous CVS mirror
     (purchase approved, machine should arrive soon)

  5. Request for volunteer sites to host anonymous CVS mirrors
     (will happen once I write up the procedures & requirements)

Other non-performance related stuff on the horizon:

  1. R/W access via kerberos authentication (for those opposed to the
     ssh licensing terms)  (server ready, just need to flip a few bits
     on the egcs machine itself

  2. *Possibly* an anon CVS service via ssh for those behind firewalls