Re: gcc-2.95 19990629 miscompiles makeinfo.c

  In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.9907021517590.5518-100000@ns.amur.rosnet.ru>you wri
te:
  > Building the latest gcc-2.95 snapshot I encountered with miscompilation
  > of makeinfo which segfaulted in get_until() when attempting to make
  > cpp.info. Take a look at the part of C source from makeinfo.c
This bug has been fixed for gcc-2.95.

  > %eax now contains new_point returned by search_forward() which should be
  > compared to 0. The obvious way is cmpl $0,%eax or even testl %eax,%eax but
  > look what gcc generates instead:
The pseudo which holds the value "new_point" did not get a hard register, thus
it's home is in the stack and it must be reloaded into a hard register when it
is used.

The compiler was incorrectly optimizing away a store into the stack slot for
new_point.

jeff