Re: FAQ, Release and the Great Renaming

Gerald Pfeifer a *crit :

> Checking our FAQ for the release, I noticed that we have a couple
> of obsolete/political issues in Sections 1 and 2:
>
>   1.1. How is EGCS different from gcc2?
>   1.3. Releases and Forking
>   2.2. How to install both gcc2 and EGCS
>
> I believe that the Steering Committee or/resp Jeff should have a look
> before the release.
>
> As a general note, I think we should not remove all traces of egcs and the
> original fork between egcs and gcc, but provide a clear and non-emotional
> short history of the gcc and egcs projects at the very beginning of the
> FAQ.
>
> In addition we should mention prominently that we are working to
> completely "unify" egcs and gcc, but that there are still some traces
> of the egcs name spread over documentation and web site left.
>
> Gerald
> --
> Gerald "Jerry" pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

Questions of great interest indeed !

I'm running a DR3 release on a 8500. I need to write a program to
complete my
thesis of engineer. The language i practice mainly is FORTRAN.

So what should i do in order to be able to work safely and whith up to
date tools
(compiler, graphics and so on ) ??

Thanks for any help