Re: Bug with g77 and -mieee on Alpha Linux

> This is a good point.  The reason I keep harping on the range question
> is that I *hope* that documenting it makes it possible for people to
> work around it.

It's pretty similar to trapping on denormalized values.  Except that
you can silently get incorrect results instead.

> If such a mode of working is not possible, we have no choice but to
> revert to storing *all* intermediate values.

No, we may compute intermediate values in a higher precision, as long as
we make sure that a value that is assigned to a variable remains consistently
the same value when it is used more than once.