Re: Bug with g77 and -mieee on Alpha Linux

In a message dated 7/12/99 12:20:06 PM PST, amylaar@cygnus.co.uk writes:

> What are we going to do about alignment?
>  Make keeping 128-bit-alignment the default, and hope that soon crt0.o
>  and libraries will provide / keep this alignment too on platforms where
>  we care about performance?
>

>  Will this design also allow to use the alignment bytes of the
10-byte-values
>  to put smaller spills there?

I'm still seeing occasional 50% performance loss due to mis-aligned 64-bit
spills (on targets where the stack is only 32-bit aligned).  So I would
request again that this project not go ahead without solving this alignment
problem, and taking Craig up on the suggestion that it may be possible for
the compiler to avoid widening the spills where the data have already been
rounded to 32 or 64 bits.

Tim
tprince@computer.org