Re: IA32: printing FP register variables

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:09:56 -0600, Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
wrote:

>However, we need to keep in mind this is only an issue for the x86.  No other
>port has this kind of braindamage.

Sorry for jumping in, but does anybody know *why* intel did that
braindamage, i.e. designed the original 8087 using a stack instead of
memory mapped registers? I remember once playing with a Weitek (costly
little beasts :), which did offer memory mapped access and that was
noticeably faster than the stack.

Only for the Ia64 it seems like they finally did it right. But as it
was a totally new architecture, they could probably throw away the
stack model more easily.

Philipp

--
You have moved your mouse. Windows must be rebooted for the
changes to take effect.