Re: Executable disappears?

>I don't think so.  Here are two executables on the old system.  The
>eVote executable was compiled on the new system using egcs. eVote_demo
>was compiled on the old system using gcc.
>
>The file command gives the same report on both executables but the
>shell can't find the eVote executable to run it.  The eVote_demo
>executable, the one compiled on the old system, runs like a champ.

Almost certainly you have a libc5/glibc mismatch.  The two libraries use
different dynamic linkers (/lib/ld-linux.so.2 vs /lib/ld-linux.so.1) and if
the appropriate version of ld.so is missing you will see these symptoms.

The linux-gcc@vger.rutgers.edu list might be a better place for this
discussion.

p.