Re: gcc-2.95 status

Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> The critical bugfreeze date was originally scheduled for July 15th.  We
> slipped that 1 week to July 22 to give us more time to address some of the
> problems encountered during testing.

You probably mean "June" here, or you have just invented a time warp :-)

>   Any additional Fortran and C++ testing needs to be hashed out in the very
>   near future.  ie, what package, where can folks get it, how to build and
>   test, etc.

One thing that would be interesting is to test LAPACK - available from:

http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lapack.tgz (note: 4 Mbyte)

- on 64-bit architectures.

It stress-tests the COMPLEX / DOUBLE COMPLEX stuff in the backend (and
the inlined (DOUBLE) COMPLEX division :-)

It passes on i686-pc-linux-gnu with the flags: -g -O3 -funroll-loops
-fomit-frame-pointer.

Some caveats:

1. The code uses MAX(I,J,K) in PARAMETER statements in some places.
   G77 doesn't grok this yet.  Because (lemma follows):

   max(i,j,k) <= i + j + k, for all i, j, k => 0

   you can safely replace the `max' statement with i+j+k.
   [ It only deals with sizes (of arrays), so overestimating is OK ]

2. The build process assumes . is in your PATH (though not necessarily
   in first position).

3. After successful completion, some files ending in .SUMM are left
   in various subdirectories.  Since these files are opened with
   "STATUS='NEW'", they have to be removed before the next trial
   run.

You have to specify the location of the compiler and the linker (both
the g77 you want to test) and the compiler flags, in a `make.inc' file
in the main directory.

So the chain of events is:

1. Get lapack.tgz.

2. tar zxvf lapack.tgz.

3. cd LAPACK

4. vi make.inc

5. (PATH=$PATH:. export PATH; make)

6. g77 finds problematic MAX statements - repair as indicated above.

7. (PATH=$PATH:. export PATH; rm `find . -name '*.SUMM' -print`; \
    make clean; make)

Success !

--
Toon Moene (toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl)
Phone: +31 346 214290; Fax: +31 346 214286