Re: F77 makefile again.

> From: craig@jcb-sc.com
> Date: 7 Jun 1999 12:41:55 -0000
> To: hjl@varesearch.com

> >Why do I have an impression that people who modify g77 makefiles in
> >egcs either don't care about parallel make or don't want to spend
> >time to write good makefiles.

> Well, part of the problem is that we don't test parallel make (I doubt
> my poor P2/233 could make much use of it),

I feel this is a popular misconception.  Try timing a complete build
with -j1 -j2 and -j3.  I have found that -j3 is the fastest total
elapsed time on my uniprocessor system.  People that are very tight on
memory may find that things are not sped up with -j3, but other than
that I would expect that things will be faster.

> and we basically never get any proper bug reports showing failures
> during parallel make.

Gee, I see them every now and then.  I fix most of them I see.

> (The occasional bug report we do get just doesn't tell us enough to
> help us understand the problem.)

Gee, I haven't seen many that are incomplete.