Re: New branch: g77-0_6-branch

[off-topic]

Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> I almost wonder if there should be an option to create both tags with a
> single command since (IMHO) having a branchpoint tag is the only real way
> to go.  It'd certainly be a hell of a lot faster than two separate tag
> commands.   Hmmm...  With as many branches as Cygnus makes I wonder if we
> ought to just sit down and write the code to handle this.

Some time ago there was a discussion about this on the CVS mailing list, or maybe
I saw the idea in their Projects file; it went something like this:

   * allow branch tags to serve as symbolic names for file revisions, so that
     "branch.1" is the first revision of any file commited on "branch";
   * then expand this so that "branch.0" is the branch-point revision.

That wold eliminate the need for branchpoint tags, and almost eliminate the need
for explicit revision numbers.
(There was also an idea to this notation more general, so that "branch.-1" would
be the one-before-branchpoint version on the trunk, etc.)

I even started impementing this, but ran out of time before anything useful came
out of it...

    Brane

--
Branko Čibej                 <branko.cibej@hermes.si>
HERMES SoftLab, Litijska 51, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia