multilib libgcc.a for language-dependant flags?

Currently, if I build libstdc++-v3 with the -fvtable-thunks flag, I will
be unable to link on some hosts, notably sparc-solaris2.5.1 because
libgcc.a defaults to being built without -fvtable-thunks. The solution
is to re-build libgcc.a with the same flags used when building
libstdc++-v3.  Although an acceptable solution,  this is not very
elegant.

If libgcc.a was multilibbed, then users could experiment with
potentially binary-compatiblity-breaking compiler flags (-fnew-abi,
-fvtable-thunks, -fno-honor-std, -fnew-exceptions for C++, perhaps
others for Java) without having to compile and re-compile their support
libraries.

Is there a way to do this?

-Benjamin