Re: Serious Solaris problem (effects egcs-1.2)

    Jeffrey> Other thoughts?

    >> I've always found it confusing, and apparently so have some
    >> others, that GCC doesn't search the user's path for as.

    Alexandre> It would break, if the configurer has GNU as in his
    Alexandre> PATH while the user's does not.

Right, I admitted this in my note.  But this is true of almost
everything.  For example, if the configurer's LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
different from the user's, all the guesswork about what's defined by
what libraries.

And, the most surprising thing to me, is that despite the folks that
make the argument you make here, we *do* search the path on some
systems, like Linux.  Meaning that this problem exists on some
systems; I could install a new version of GAS, only in the
configurer's path, get GCC to depend on it, not have it in the user's
path, and cause just the chaos you describe.