Re: More on 32bit/64bit ABIs under Linux

> On Apr 22, 1999, hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu) wrote:
>
> > You don't want to prepend "-L../foo". We only prepend things like
> > "-L/foo"
>
> How about -L$HOME/lib?

Don't prepend "/ABI32".

> >> to install libraries of a given ABI into a particular tree?  I
>
> > Yes or No. For one package, if you only want to install binaries
> > for one ABI, you can just install it normally. If it is 32bit, you
> > have to make some symlinks in "/ABI32".
>
> I can't make symlinks in /ABI32 as a regular user.  And I can't do
> that on every single host of the network from which I might want to
> mount my home dir and run the application.

If we don't prepend "/ABI32" to -L$HOME/lib, will that be a problem?
We only prepend "/ABI32" to -L/foo/bar, if both /foo/bar and
/ABI32/foo/bar exist.

> >> Wouldn't it be better to extend ld.so so that one could have a
> >> different .conf file for a different ABI.  For example,
> >> /ABI32/etc/ld.so.conf, or /etc/ld.so.conf-ABI32 ?
>
> > No, since files under /ABI32 may be just symlinks for the linker and
> > the real 32bit binaries are in the normal places.
>
> So what?  I don't understand what's the relationship between my
> suggestion and your statement.  Anyway, this problem appears to have
> already been fixed.

The current /etc/ld.so.conf can handle multiple ABIs. The run-time
linker is not a problem. The linker, ld, is a problem.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)