Re: libf2c FLAGS_TO_PASS [was Re: egcs-1.2 stuff ]

  In message <rzqg16354r5.fsf@djlvig.dl.ac.uk>you write:

  >  >> >I don't have HJ's patch to look
  >  >> >at, but if it does just what the ChangeLog says it does, I think it's
  >  >> >the Right Thing.
  >
  > You are very wise.  It doesn't.
  >
  > [FWIW, IIRC there was a good historical reason for the exact quoting
  > used from the days of GCC 2.5 or 2.6, so people have had a good chance
  > to complain.]
True.  But that also predates inclusion of the runtime libraries within a
single tree.  It also predates moving the runtime libraries out of the libf2c
directory.

There's a nonzero chance that the problems that were solved by the precise
quoting used in the libf2c are not issues anymore.

I don't see any reason why libf2c should be using a different quoting scheme
than everything else.  If it is, then we need to find the reason why.  Either
libf2c is wrong and needs to be fixed, or it is right and the other runtimes
are probably wrong (and need to be fixed).

  >  >> Okay, that's all I need to hear...I approve it!  Won't commit it
  >  >> tonight, probably, so if Jeff or someone has it handy, they can go
  >  >> ahead...otherwise I'll dig it out soon and apply it myself.
  >
  > If you don't believe what I said before and don't want my ossifying
  > fix, please read the Makefile.  Or actually try on the config.status
  > target.
I certainly believe you.  And I'd like more information about this.  I don't
want to install a patch that is going to screw us later.

  > [It's surely clear that RUNTESTFLAGS is irrelevant to libf2c, at best
  > a fossil.]
Not really.  If we ever made libf2c's testsuite work work like the rest, then
RUNTESTFLAGS would become highly relevant.

  >  Jeff> HJ, if you have the patch handy and send it, I will install it.
  >  Jeff> Else I'll wait for Craig to find it.
  >
  > Sigh.
Well, let's hold off and discuss it.

jeff