Re: TODO: egcs-g++

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On 11 Apr 1999, Jason Merrill wrote:
>
> > Would someone explain to me what anonymous structs are good for?  It seems
> > like a totally pointless extension.
>
> The WINE people were talking about trying to get support for anonymous
> structs into egcs.  The Windows headers seem to be littered with them, so
> it would make people's lives easier who want to write applications for
> Windows _and_ WineLib.

This is also a very important issue for GCC under windows32. We now have
to resort to reinventing the system headers, which is painful and
error-prone. The only way to keep GCC up-to-date on this platform is to
be able to use MS Platform SDK headers, but unfortunately those are
peppered with these anon struct/union extensions.

There have been two set of patches to date that I know of --

(1) Alastair Houghton's changes a year or so ago. It added a few small
  breakages, which is expected; I just never had the time to see what
  was causing those, let alone try to find a fix.

(2) Antonio Mendes de Oliveira Neto's patches posted to egcs-patches.

> But then, the Windows headers are littered with all sorts of things..

Sigh, yes. I (almost) feel sorry for the person who thought that CPP
macros are fun and created the gazillions of macros in the API header
files ... must be hated even within the halls of Redmond.

Regards,
Mumit