Re: Debugging g77 (egcs-1.1.1 mingw32 version) with gdb

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Vasudevan, Gopal wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I am having a tough
> > time trying to use the gdb with the g77 in egcs-1.1.1 (the mingw32
> > version).
> > Here is a sample code and the outputs in gdb:

This is more of a question on gdb than egcs/mingw32, but I'll copy the
list as well since it may help others as well.

The gdb you get mingw32 is a quick port that I did a while back and
currently stands 4-17.1 (I'm using Cygwin gdb release as the base). It's
somewhat quirky, and on top of that, gdb+g77 combo on any platform is
quite useless for any serious debugging; however, but I'm surprised at
the following problem that you see:

> > (gdb) disp *ndim
> > $2 = 1
> >
> > But nlen was set to 4 and not 1!

I get 4 with egcs-1.1.2 and the gdb that was bundled with the binary
release. I also get the expected values for the other cases as well.

I hate to ask -- you did compile with -g, right?

The problem with the negative array dimension is known, and makes
debugging very tricky.

You may want to upgrade to egcs-1.1.2 and see if it fixes your problem.

  http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

Regards,
Mumit