Re: Mac port of egcs?

> MacOS uses PEF format, but Apple was unwilling to share
> technical information about that file format when the work was underway.
> MacOS can (or could) understand AIX-style XCOFF file format and there was
> some effort to produce MacOS XCOFF files that MacOS could run.

PEF is fully documented at
<http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/runtimehtml/RTArch-2.html>.

Supporting header files (PEFBinaryFormat.h) are available freely online as
well.

As for the original question, you should be able to compile for a target of
powerpc-ibm-aix.

You'll then want to convert the resulting XCOFF to a PEF. Apple provides a
plugin tool for it's free command-line development environment, MPW, called
MakePEF that will perform this conversion.

Another option is to use Apple's PPCLink linker or the Metrowerks linker to
directly produce a PEF from your object files.

| Alexander M. Rosenberg           <mailto:alexr@_spies.com> |
| Nobody cares what I say. Remove the underscore to mail me. |