optimizing egcs for alpha

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:35:49 -0800
From: spink@pa.dec.com
To: axp-list@redhat.com
Cc: spink@pa.dec.com
Subject: Re: Compaq sees Linux as selling Alpha chips

> > If Compaq wants to make real noise with Linux, help optimize gcc/egcs for
> > the Alpha processor.  And put the updates right back into gcc/egcs unlike
> > what Intel is doing with Cygnus and the PII/PIII optimizations.

Well, part of the problem is that both gcc and to some extent egcs are broken
from a plug ability perspective.  The basic optimization model of gcc has
serious problems.  What you are asking for is essentially for Compaq to
rewrite gcc from scratch and then release the source code, and while I think
it would be cool, it just isn't going to happen.  If gcc/egcs had a more
modern design(like, shudder, MSVC) then it would be relatively easy to slot in
the GEM back end.

Aaron Spink
not speaking for Compaq