Re: elided copy constructors

    Martin> This is how open source works: If you need a feature badly
    Martin> enough, you have the chance to do it yourself. If you
    Martin> don't, it might get never done.

I think we should probably stop giving this slightly over-simplistic
answer.  Gerald, here's what I propose as a FAQ entry.  Do you care to
install it, or will you permit me to do so, or do you reject it
altogether?

Question
--------

How do I get a problem in EGCS fixed, or a new feature added?

Answer
------

There are lots of ways to get something fixed.  The list below may be
incomplete, but it covers many of the common cases.  These are listed
roughly in order of increasing difficulty for the average GCC user,
meaning someone who is not skilled in the internals of GCC, and where
difficulty is measured in terms of the time required to fix the bug.
No alternative is better than any other; each has it's benefits and
disadvantages.

  o Hire someone to fix it for you.  There are various companies and
    individuals providing support for GCC.  This alternative costs
    money, but is relatively likely to get results.

  o Make a strong enough case that the problem is important that
    people responsible for the code in question feel guilty enough, or
    excited enough, to fix it.  Often, maintainers or authors of a
    particular section of code have enough pride in their workmanship
    to want to fix things.  This alternative will take some time and
    effort on your part, and is not guaranteed to bring results.  On
    the other hand, it is cheaper than paying someone else to do the
    work, and much easier than the next alternative.

  o Fix it yourself.  This alternative is guaranteed to bring results,
    if you work hard enough, but will probably take a lot of time,
    and, depending on the quality of your work and the perceived
    benefits of your changes, your code may or may not ever make it
    into an official release of EGCS.

-------

BTW, it might be a nice service to all if the EGCS web-pages allowed
anybody who does provide support, whether individually or as a
company, to add a link in this FAQ entry.  I suggest listing them in
alphabetical order, and without any additional information, in the
interests of fairness.  There should be a disclaimer, saying that none
of the links are officially recommended.