Re: egcs-1.1.2 status

At 09:22 08.03.99 , Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>  In message <14047.48662.983905.739572@exept.exept.de>you write:
>  > On Fri, 5 March 1999, 01:36:31, law@hurl.cygnus.com wrote:
>  >
>  >  > Outstanding issues that we will try to address before the release:
>  >  >
>  >  >  1. Ability to specify an installation directory for cpp.
>  >
>  > If it would be allowed to tag the ``--enable-cpp'' option
>  > with a pathname as its initializer, the patch would be easy.
>  > I don't think, we should use two options like in
>  >
>  >    ... --enable-cpp --with-cpp-dir=/where/ever/you/want ...
>  >
>  > One single
>  >
>  >    ... --enable-cpp=/where/ever/you/want
>  >
>  > should be enough.  Anyway, I've appended the small patch.
>  >
>  > manfred
>  >
>  >
>  > Fri Mar  5 12:29:59 1999  Manfred Hollstein  <manfred@s-direktnet.de>
>  >
>  >     * configure.in (cpp_install_dir): Initialize from $enable_cpp
>  >     if that's looking like a pathname.
>  >     * configure: Rebuilt.
>Thanks.  I fixed a couple minor problems and installed this change onto the
>release branch.
>
>That should be the end of the cpp issues, so I'll pull the change set as a
>whole into the mainline tree.

Not really :-). Currently enable-cpp=/lib will break if you try to set the
installroot via "make prefix=/var/tmp/egcs-root/usr install" (the usual way
to build binary packages), the prefix is ignored for the cpp installation.

I would suggest to make it at least possible to pass cpp_install_dir from
the toplevel make, that would solve it for now.

Take this as a vote to implement a $install_root variable during the
configure/Makefile overhaul.

Franz.