Re: make

> I though that make should only be recompiling modules whose source code,
> or included files, had changed.
>
> Yet every single time I use cvs to upgrade the egcs source-code tree
> here, typing 'make' takes no less and no more time than the last time
> around: every last little file gets recompiled, even if only three or
> four files got updated.

It depends on which files got updated, of course.

I just checked my EGCS build area and I have a few dot-o's dating back
slightly over a month.  It shouldn't be rebuilding everything.  NFS?
Bad make?

I have noticed that if I use 'contrib/egcs_update' that pretty much
guarantees that autoconf (and therefore configure) will have to be run
and this seems to consistely trigger a complete rebuild of libf2c.
Without looking, I had attributed it to a dependency like "libraries
depend on the compiler and the compiler depends on something that gets
touched by configure".