Re: Confirmed template parsing bug: bug in error message generation.

On Mar  2, 1999, Paul Derbyshire <pderbysh@usa.net> wrote:

> At 04:59 AM 3/1/99 -0300, you wrote:
>> Then please post a bug report...

> I already did!

>> ...containing a single code snippet that demonstrates the problem...

> "extern foo<int> bar;"

> Parse error, but line is well-formed;

Without the quotes, I suppose :-)

And it is not well-formed if foo is not declared as a template yet,
but I agree that the message could be improved.

>> ...and a description of the host in which you have observed the
>> problem...

> x86-MSDOS. Which anyone who has read the original stuff will know.

Bug reports are usually kept by developers in mailboxes or such, and
it's very good to have all the needed information in a single
message, rather than having to collect it from dozens of different
messages.  That's why I asked for a complete bug report.

> Not that there is a snowball's chance in hell that the target has
> any influence whatsoever on the *parser* :-)

Platform-dependent memory corruption can damage the symbol table,
which may lead to parse errors.

>> otherwise lots of people may have to spend time re-creating the code
>> snippet you already have.

> Why you believe this is beyond me, since the code snippet (above) was in
> the very post you quoted IIRC

Sorry, I did not understand that was the *whole* code snippet.

Thanks for re-posting it, anyway.

> Copied to egcs-bugs.

That's where bug reports belong; thanks :-)

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}